Joe Swasey and sons along with the Nordell brothers (Nordells tie into Swaseys by marriage) built this cabin in 1921 on the San Rafael Swell at the Head of Sinbad, near the "Cliffdweller" cave. The rock formation standing behind the cabin is known as The Broken Cross. Also behind the cabin is a crevass or cave like structure about 40 feet deep, 40 feet high and 15 feet wide. Because the area is not exposed to sunlight and because of a small shaft in the top, the temperature remains between 50 and 60 degrees even on the hottest days. They Swaseys kept their food stuff there and called it "The Refrigerator." The Swasey Cabin is now on the National Register of Historic Places and was restored on Public Lands Day by Emery County Residents.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.