C.T. Lupton of the United States Geological Survey took this photo of Joe Swasey in front of the cave that the Swaseys first called the "Cliffdweller." This massive rock has a cozy little cave near its base that provided shelter to the Swasey brothers. It is about six to eight feet deep and twelve feet wide. The Swaseys built a log floor which stood about three feet above the ground. They slept on this floor. The Swaseys were in the area in 1875, but the Cliffdweller was first used by Indians. Pottery and arrowheads were found in the Cliffdweller by these early livestock men. Joe's son, Royal Swasey, took his bride, Eva, to the Cliffdweller for a romantic honeymoon, according to Royal's son, Monte. It had a floor, natural refridgerator and other "desert luxuries." Later they built a cabin nearby.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.