Utah becomes a state. Branch Normal School established in Cedar City. Gettins lumber for the building. .Acquiring property. Committees in charye. Picture of "Old Main."
O n Jan. 4, 1896, Utah ("Eutaw" meaning "High up" or "In the tops of the mountains or heights") became a state. The constitution at long last was accepted by the I1.S. Congress and President Cleveland announced Utah as the 45th state in the Union. Inaugural ceremonies followed in the spacious tabernacle in Salt Lake City on Jan. 6, where 10,000 Mormons and Gentiles gathered under draped American flags, one of which stretched 150 feet over the great tabernacle organ. The tabernacle choir sang "Utah, We Love Thee." The president of the church, Wilford Woodruff, sat on the stand with state and national 0%cials. Heber M. Wells was the first Governor. About one ycar later on March 11, 1897, by act of the legislature of the state of Utah, it was provided that a Branch of the State Normal School at Salt Lake should be established in the southern part of the state. The law created a commission consisting of three men; Dr. John R. Park (Lehi's friend and former teacher at the Univenity of Deseret), Dr. Karl G. Maeser, and Dr. James E. Talmage, to locate a school in Beaver, Iron, or Washington County. After visiting thesite? proposed by these counties,'the decision not being easy to make, Cedar City was finally chosen and the decision was wired to the people of Cedar City, May 19, 1897. The people set to work at once and by Sept. 1897, the Ward Hall had been made ready for occupancy. The Ecclesiastical Ward deeded the property of the Ward Hall to the state so that the conditions of the Act could be met. (That the school open in a state-owned