Plan selerted and Tabernacle built. People still brinq called to Bluff - Jody's Diarv. Takinq n cattle held to San J u a n . Lehi receives r Misaion Call. Ilcnry seriamly hurned. Letter from Mary hw Lunt to Lehi while on miasion. Letter from Henry Lont. Relcase from mission. Finishins of home. Map of Utah. Picture, Cedar Cit) Council.
The people of Cedar City had long recopized the nced of a new church for all their L.D.S. meetings. They were using the old Social Hall, with its adobe walls and low roof, for worship and amusement alike. O n July 11, 1882 Mayor Robert W. Heyborne deeded property located on the corner of Center and Main, belonging to the city, to the church foc the purpose of huilding a tabernacle. In due time, a plan was selected and the ground was staked and the Saints began working on the foundation.' Early in 1883 it was determined that 82,000 hricks were needed to construct the hnilding-, along with rock for the foundation and window sills and timben for joists which were to be 22 feet long and 13 inches square. During the summer the lumhcr was obtained hy the memhen, and was hauled to Cedar City in the fall. Samuel Leigh, August Mackelprang and Lehi Jones did a good part of the hauling. The church members were asked to donate all the labor and money they could to this building, project. Practically every nlemher of the community took a n active interest in the tremendous project, and they worked together for a common cause. hlen donated their time in making, brick, sawing and hauling lurnbcr, quarrying rock and actually laboring on the building. Lehi's name was listed several times in a timebook kept of those who helped. Tn Feh. 1885, 32 teams and wagons went to Deep Creek to get