8 SOUTHERN BRANCH
In 1905 the Legislature appropriated $5,000 for a Boiler House which was erected during the summer.
A sum of $600 was appropriated for securing water for the grounds. The water was secured and the planting of shrubbery and trees commenced.
The first commemoration of the founding of the school occurred May 19, 1906, just nine years after the telegram was received by Cedar citizens, announcing the location of the school by the commission at Cedar City.
The commission that located the school consisted of Dr. John R. Park, Dr. Carl G. Maeser, and Dr. James E. Talmage.
ITE AND BUILDINGS.
The buildings are situated on Normal School Hill, near the outskirts of the city. Part of the campus has been prepared for baseball, tennis, basketball, croquet, and similar games, while other parts have been planted with shade trees. The buildings are thoroughly modern in every respect, being commodious, well lighted, and provided with the best system of heating and ventilation.
Ground for an athletic field has been purchased
The grounds are being laid out, planned after the Stadium at the St. Louis Exposition.
The Legislature of 1907 appropriated $10,000 for a shop which is to be built during 1908.
LABORATORIES AND APPARATUS.
The Laboratories are located in the Science Building.
The biological laboratory is provided with compound microscopes, dissecting microscopes, accessory instruments, and chemical re-agents. The dissecting room is fitted with modern apparatus and the histological work is conducted along the most approved lines and the best of apparatus is in use.