THE SOUTHERN BRANCH
STATE NORMAL SCHOOL
University of Utah.
By an act of the Legislature of the State of Utah, approved March 11, 1897, it was provided that a branch of the State Normal School be established in the southern part of the State. The law created a commission to locate the school in Beaver or Iron county. After visiting the sites proposed by the people of these counties, the commission decided on Cedar City, Iron county. The people of that place at once provided a building suitable for temporary occupancy, In September, 1897, the school was opened. The following September it was moved to the permanent building. From the first the school has grown steadily in attendance and efficiency.
For each biennial period the State has made liberal appropriations for maintenance. The Legislature of 1903 appropriated $70,000 -$35,000 of which was expended for a new science building and equipment.