17 STATE NORMAL SCHOOL.
COURSES OF STUDY.
The Branch Normal offers the following courses:
(1) The regular four years course leading to a Normal certificate with the exception of the professional work of the fourth year which is given at the University, Salt Lake City.
The regular Normal course has been extended so as to include a course in Domestic Science and Arts, and Business. It also affords an adequate preparation for college courses in Engineering and General Science.
(2) A four year Kindergarten course, except the professional subjects of the third and fourth year.
(3) The Preparatory courses to the Collegiate Department of the University.
(4) The Preparatory course to the School of Mines.
(5) A Sub-preparatory course.
FOUR YEAR NORMAL COURSE.
The graduate from this course receives a certificate equivalent to a state teacher's certificate. See prescribed course on succeeding pages.
The following provisions are made by State law: "Graduates in the Normal course shall receive a certificate which, for a term of five years thereafter, shall be sufficient evidence of the holder, without examination as to scholarship, to teach in the common schools in the grade or grades mentioned in the certificate; and the University may provide for granting a degree with an accompanying Normal diploma to graduates in the Normal course who have satisfactorily taken a course of studies prescribed and leading to a degree; and the degree with accompanying Normal diploma shall be sufficient evidence of the bolder to thereafter teach in the common schools, without examination as to scholarship."