THE SOUTHERN BRANCH
THE STATE NORMAL SCHOOL
UNIVERSITY OF UTAH.
By an act of the Legislature of the State of Utah, approved March 11, 1897, it was provided that a branch of the State Normal School should be established in the southern part of the state. The law created a commission to select a suitable site within the counties of Beaver or Iron for the location of the school. After visiting the sites proposed by the people of these counties, the commission decided upon Cedar City, Iron County. The citizens of Cedar City at once provided a suitable building for temporary occupancy. The school was opened in September, 1897, and has now successfully completed its first academic year.
Cedar City is one of the most thrifty cities of Southern Utah. It is centrally located with respect to population in that portion of Utah for which the school by law was especially established. Cedar City is abundantly supplied with fuel, being situated only a very