21 STATE NORMAL SCHOOL.
COURSES OF STUDY.
The Branch Normal offers the following courses:
(1) The regular four years' course leading to a Normal certificate with the exception of the professional work of the fourth year which is given at the University, Salt Lake City.
The regular Normal course has been extended so as to include a course in Domestic Science and Arts. It also affords an adequate preparation for college courses in Engineering and General Science.
(2) A four year Kindergarten course, except the professional subjects of the third and fourth years.
(3) Regular High School course of four years,
(4) A course leading to the mechanical, electrical and civil engineering courses of the University.
(5) A course leading to the law course of the University
(6) A course leading to the medical course of the University.
For further information consult the catalogue of the University of Utah.
Extract from an act passed by the State Legislature in 1897:
"Teachers for said school (Kindergarten) unlesss holding a certificate of efficiency in Kindergarten work granted by the State Normal School, shall be required to sustain a special examination relating to the principles and practice of the Kindergarten; such examination to be conducted under the direction of the State Board of Education."
The Kindergarten law of 1903 requires each school district having a population of 2,000 and upwards, to maintain at least one Kindergarten. The law became compulsory in 1907.