The Southern Branch of the State Normal
School of the University of Utah.
On the 11th of March, 1897, the Legislature passed an act establishing a branch of the State Normal School of the University of Utah, to be located either in Iron or Beaver County. To select a suitable site for the school a commission was provided for by law, consisting of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, the President of the State University, and one other person to be appointed by the Governor.
After visiting different parts of the two counties named, the commission decided that Cedar City would be the most suitable place for the Normal School, and in accordance with that decision selected this city for that purpose.
Cedar City is one of the most thrifty cities of Southern Utah. It is centrally located with respect to population in that portion of Utah for which the school by law was especially established. Cedar City is abundantly supplied with fuel, being situated only a very short distance from the great coal beds in Southern Utah. In its vicinity are the great ore bodies of hematite and magnetic iron ore. These vast bodies of coal and iron ore, the most useful and important minerals mined, will necessarily in the near future make Cedar City one of the most populous and prosperous cities in the southern portion of the state.