THE SOUTHERN BRANCH
STATE NORMAL SCHOOL
University of Utah.
By an act of the Legislature of the State of Utah, approved March 11, 897, it was provided that a branch of the State Normal School be established in the southern part of the State. The law created a commission to locate the school in Beaver or Iron County. After visiting the sites proposed by the people of these counties, the commission decided on Cedar City, Iron County. The citizens of that place at once provided a building suitable for temporary occupancy. In September, 1897, the school was, opened. The following September it was moved to the permanent building. From the first the school has grown steadily in attendance and efficiency, and the Third State Legislature has made liberal appropriation for its maintenance.
SITE AND BUILDING.
The building is situated on Normal School Hill, near the outskirts of the city. Part of the campus has been prepared for baseball, basket-ball, croquet, and similar games, while other parts have been planted with shade trees. The building is thoroughly modern in every respect, being commodious, well lighted, and provided with the best system of heating and ventilation.